Deutsch | Español | Français | Italiano | Português | ??? | ??? | ??
Bookmark this blog on Del.icio.us or Furl

March 28, 2008

Becoming a Jew

Why would a person choose Judaism? what does a person converting from 'Christianity do with his or her belief in 'Jesus' Are Jews from birth really accepting converts? The following excerpt is from a friend *Jose a Portugues who was born a Baptist and five years into his marriage, having two children decide to study Judaism, go the mikvah, undergo a brit milah and stand before a bet din. Why? because he wanted to be a jew.

His conversion on June, 1998, was very 'normal' and it all felt right for him. he always said the wouldn't convert for a marriage, he did it for 'the right reasons' he didn't want to be a passive parent who says to his children, about Judaism, 'go talk to your mom, he wanted to engage with his children, he wanted to learn, to be informed so he could talk to them. one rabbi from a well know synagogue told him 'well take a conversion course' so he did

Prior to his conversion, Lina's parents weren't pleased that they were a coouple. she come from a loose catholic family so giving example was the thing for me, once they got to know him, they realized he was a good guy, an average one.

His parents still live in Portugal, they as baptist are in 'ministry' so marrying a jewish girl was not really their fantasy, but they had been prepared because his brother married a french jewish girl.

He was raised in a relatively conservative baptist home. it was not pentecostal. he drew parallels between his parents and a good jewish home, because they lived their beliefs. his parents were always taking people in ( very hospitable), they stressed tolerance. His dad never said negative about anyone based on their religion, language or anything. Being Baptist provide him with respect.

The fact that he was brought up in a good 'christian' home allowed his eyes to be opened to the positive stuff. When he was first exposed to Judaism. He thinks it was that kinf of tolerance that allowed him to embrace Judaism.

He said when he finally converted it wasn't like he was struck by lighting, like all of a suden, he went to the mikvah, had a circumsion and stoo before the bet din, and he wa a jew. it was gradual.

Circimsicion? There was a a urologist and some serious guys in the room davening. He was already Jewish in his mind, so he was happy to do it. I'ts a mitzvah. A while after, my hubby called a certain CBC show ( he used to work there)and assured the (circumcision) naysayers that it does not affect man's sensitivity in the slightest ( also check Oprah show archives).

I think Judaism is a model for living. it provides a set of moral guidelines for me and my family. It's model of goodness one that human beings can live by and feel comfortable with. When i'm faced with a decision I try to find a reference point. I ask what is good jews supposed to do. You have to find your reference point and for me it's biblical Judaism. I bounce everything off it.

How do other jews treat him? Jews are always interested in his choice to became a jew. Yes is that Jews are self-reflective. We always question our existence! my friend says that he is very comfortable with the questioning. he doesn't think he has ever had a negative reaction from a jew or a non-jew about converting. The most uncomfortable questions he has been aske are " Do you feel Jewish? or " Are you really jewish?. These are legitimate questions because of the jewish experience. Jews hold a unique place in the world, and it's natural for jews to ask.

I like certain debates within judaism that encourages questioning the existing of God and the behavior of people. i have myself a lot of questioning but that will be for another rant, ha ,ha. Of course i feel Jewish. Being Jewish is being vibrant. To be Jewish reminds me more often that I am part of the Human race, the focus is on where we are today not in the future world, it's on our relationships with other people and the issues of everyday life.

It's feeling your place in the world and seeing what others human beings are up to. Within Judaism there is an obligation to help our fellow humans beings. I don't know if people understand the importance of giving. Learn something from the latest show on giving in the Oprah show if you have no time ( is easy or plain English that is my point)by the way i'm not a fan of Oprah or Dr Phil i do take what i think it's ok as current or an insteresting topic-- what is good about giving is that you are putting yourself out there--there is some discomfort, so it's got to be good

My concept of 'Jesus'? Well my beliefs were a little underdevelop, and you must know that i was raised under the influence of my parents. My belief in Jesus as my savior was never based on debate. Debate was not encourage around the issue. I therefore never felt free enough to embrace that belief. It was simply expected that I would.

I have three children, two boys and a girl. They are learning hebrew and they tease me sometimes over i mispronounce a Hebrew word ( they do the same with English too). but my 'ch' is really good !

I would be a total hypocrite if I said i don't want my kids to marry non-jews, but the truth is I want them to marry Jews, people that lives a biblical Judaism. My mom used to attend a Conservative synagogue , that is what exist in Dominican Republic the Conservative Movement. An Orthodox rabbi once suggested I converte through Ortodoxy. My response was that i don't need to. I'm Jewish. The rabbi responded: "Don't think of it as convering again. Think of it as being on an airplane. I want to move you from economy up to business class".

Well let me think about it i said . i never want to 'convert' to simply keep my future neighbords, friends or in-laws happy. It had to feel good to me.

We know people who converted for marriage and some of them are good jews. I know a couple of them. I know someone else who said she could not longer give up certain things and did not feel comfortable calling herself a jew anymore. The children are still raised as jews.

I'm just remind everyday how blessed and lucky I am to be Jewish. It offers me more opportunities to reflect on my behaviour and my status as a human being. Being Jewish gives me more reason to keep my eyes open. It's part of being a Jew but don't ever think we don't fail or that we are perfect ! .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Home

Login

Consultancy

Publications

Contact

About

Speaking

Blog